ARTIFICAL SWEETENERS 950 AND 951

Hello Folks,
These sweeteners 950 and 951 are now used in the new Coca Cola Zero Sugar beverage.

The marketing decision of giving consumers ” A Great Taste” without the sugar input. There has been a lot of anti around sugar lately and the bottlers of Coca Cola have been under the spot light in NZ for the amount of Sugar in Coca Cola.

951 Aspartame is not new and is used world wide in approx 5000 to 6000 products. It is also used in Diet Coke. Generally used in products that are sugar free. There is a lot of negative press re this 951 eg literature that I have, published 2002, says that 951 accounts for over 75% of adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA ( US Food and Drug Administration )
In addition this literature lists under Potential Health Effects : Cancer, asthma, MS like symptons, headache, hyperactivity, fatigue,anxiety, dizziness, migraine, memory loss, depression, insomnia, irritability, impotence, epilepsy, blindness,diabetes, neuralgia, seizures,plus many others.

950 Acesulphame Potassium Acesulphame K is also used as an artificial sweetener, doesn’t seem to have as much negative press as Aspartame but Potential Heath Effects advise: May increase levels of cholestrol in blood, caused cancer and tumours in animals.

There are at least 4 US Court Cases lodged in 2004 fighting against Aspartame.
Search Google for Aspartame – there is no shortage of adverse publicity.

So the above is given as information,
but my Question is: does anyone have knowledge of what countries have banned the use of 951 Aspartame.
I understand that some countries have and I would like to get this information.
Thanks, Ian Cambourne

50 comments on “ARTIFICAL SWEETENERS 950 AND 951

1. Peter says:

well they do use 951 and 950 in pepsi max in australia, which is what led me to this search in the first place.

• Daniel says:

Yes, they do use sweeteners 951 (aspartame) and 950 (Acesulphame Potassium Acesulphame K) in pepsi max in australia.

2. karen says:

They use it in Bundaberg Diet Ginger Beer too, made here in Qld.

3. Martin Harris says:

Apparently Coca Cola is now switching to Stevia instead of Aspartame. Does anyone have any views on Stevia. Apparently a natural leaf extract? Is it OK?

• Doug says:

Stevia has no known bad effects – I grow it and use it but the taste can be quite different to sugar products

• Doug says:

but of course anything coca cola does is questionable.. they may modify the stevia in a way that is harmful.. they are great at doing that.

• Jane says:

In Asia e.g. (Korea, Thailand) they use Stevia in Diet products and they taste pretty much the same.

• paul k klicin says:

I have just started using stevia and it takes some getting used to it,however after some days of using it,
      I am happy to use it in place of sugar. U can contact me on 02-66627418 for further info…

4. Martin Harris says:

Thanks for the input Doug. Will be interesting to follow up on the Coke/Stevia subject and see if it’s “kosher” or not.

5. Yvonne says:

I have just read the label on my bottle of Schweppes sparkling diet lemonade and the sweeteners used are both 951 and 950. Interesting !

6. I have been drinking if n9ot 1-2 bottle os 300ml of diet ginerale daly as in nutrition info it is all 0. afterwatching sunrise today I have now looked up 951 and will not be touching it again thankyou Sunrise.

7. I have been drinking if n9ot 1-2 bottle os 300ml of diet ginerale daly as in nutrition info it is all 0. afterwatching sunrise today I have now looked up 951 and will not be touching it again thankyou Sunrise.

8. Neil says:

I started drinking Coke Zero back in February and distinctly remember the can saying it was sweetened with Stevia. However I’ve been in Europe for 2+ months and their Coke Zero didn’t say “stevia”, so I’ve just checked the new CZ I bought today at the supermarket in Auckland, and now there’s no mention of stevia on this batch. Just 950 and 951. Anyone else remember Coke Zero with “stevia” as the sweetener, or is my mind going? ;-)

9. Martin Harris says:

Neil, June 30th was the first media announcement I heard on the subject (see posted link on that date).
    Maybe a time-traveller placed the can with Stevia on it to see if anyone noticed!? Well…anything’s possible….right?

10. Roger says:

How on earth do they get away with this ?
    surely the food authorities can do something about it, or is it more of a political decision ?

11. Wallaby says:

maybe you guys should all refer to a factual, impartial website rather than taking anecdotes and Sunrise tabloid-style stories as given. My wife and 2 of my kids have severe food intolerances, so we check everything. I just checked the sweeteners in Schweppes Diet Tonic Water: 950 – Aspartame. 951 – Acesulphame Potassium.

Go to the Cancer WA website where they give an excellent appraisal of these & other sweeteners. As much as I dislike the Coca Cola Corporation and their tactics, it seems your crusade against these sweeteners may be more mythological than factual…

• Tamara says:

Wallaby…. don’t be so naïve….. wouldn’t you say anything if cash donations were given to you from large companies using these products.

12. George says:

Whoa!!
    Well now if that’s what the ‘factual’ and ‘impartial’ Cancer WA website says then I guess we can just rest our silly, paranoid minds easy then ay? NOT!!!!!!

13. Wally & Shelley Schiel says:

We have been using sugar free lemonade in our mixer drinks & Schweppes & Coles/Woolies own brand also contain 950 & 951. below article is interesting on Stevia, which we also had been using! may go back to natural honey 7 put up with the weight gain!!
    Wally.

14. Arja Agostinis says:

I have been using 951 artificial sweetners moat of my adult life I have thought Ki was going crazy the amount of symptoms I have is unbelievable my daughter sent me an artical today on the toxic poison in pepsi max due to 951 I have struggled woith my weight all my life maybe niw I can start living a healthier life I will be reading all lables from niw on

15. Wendy Woodford says:

I have just started drinking Coke Zero as of 2-3 weeks ago, no mention of Stevia only sweetners 951 & 950
    The date today is 27/08/13. I am trying to cut sugar out of my diet, I usually drink coffe about 6-7 a day with 3 sugars in each one. I have tried equal with stevia but didn’t like the taste.

16. Ozzie Realist says:

Does anyone really think anything that comes out of coca cola is good for you. It’s comparable to McDonalds. Come on get real people. Millions on people consume 950&951. There is bound to be some people that may react to this. It’s how we live now !!! We creat our own world.. And keep Doctors rich.!

17. Maria says:

Like so many 951 and 950 has meant nothing to me before, Now with lots of medical issues and a friend pointing me in the right direction about artificial sweeteners. I have totally weaned myself of the addicted Diet Coke, Equal and anything that contains these sweetener. Always trying to loose weight LOL. 2 months on I’m loosing weight without doing anything much but I do feel so much better in myself no night cramps in my legs and after having 2 knee replacements done several years ago I can say I walk without pain. When I spoke to my doctor he said we are the Captains of our body just like a ship. steer it in the right direction and you’ll get to see many a sunset,It doesn’t cost anything to give it a go and read labels.

18. Veronika says:

They use it in New Zealand for sure

19. Mel says:

They also use both in ski soliel diet yoghurt to make it low calories.

20. dave says:

It is also used in Schweppes sugar free lemonade. taste is nice but have just looked up side effects and very interesting indeed.

21. Valerie Garnier says:

Anyone claiming these artificial sweeteners are okay didn’t see the Australian 60 minutes episode. They reamed Monsanto, (the evil mega corporation who created Nutrasweet)! They exposed the fact that in their production research they had lab rats who died from the stuff (predominance of brain tumors) who died on for example,day 208, and then were mysteriously resurrected from the died on day 332, before the end of the study. Don’t kid yourself!!!
    Valerie

22. Leah says:

well, Its jan 2014 now, and diet coke still has 950 ad 951 in it.
    No changes here

23. Rick says:

On further inspection i found that the diet lemon Cordial i’ve been drinking & made by the Australian company Bickfords also contains the additive 951 as sugar supplement.

24. geoffus says:

well folks get ready 4 a whole lot more, this year will see a heavy push across the world to “tackel the obesity problem”-artificialy created by decreacing nutrition content in food and increasing toxicisity in food- net result is an over consumption of food and obesity, of cource other factors are included, but no free steak knives, manufactures will be dropping the natural sugar content by up to 100%, replacing with artificial sweat poision,

an alternative i use for sweet drinks is squeesing half a organic orange into a couple of litres of un floridated water, weight loss aint easy, it takes a commitment by you, but if you cut out all snacks except raw fruit and a few nuts n seeds and switch to 1 heathly meal a day you WILL LOSE WEIGHT, especilly if you do more exercise too. there was a study done reciently were 30 type2 dibetics were sent to a fat camp for a month and all cured their ailment using diet alone, (drug companies/government WILL NOT ALLOW CURES FOR ANYTHING, do the math/money), but on return to their homes all but 2 went back to their poision diets.

its a herculiean up hill battle with the crass nature of humanity through the quantum holographic rabbit hole alice……. :)

25. geoffus says:

problems arise from incentives, in achient china doctors were payed every day when you were not sick, its only when you became sick that their pay would be stopped, ensuring that they were insentifized to find cures for all ills, unlike our system which incentifizes them to profit from increasing illness and side effects with medicens creating a closed loop of profit and evil, sickness and death. food companies-owned by rothchild banks whom own everything else too, but for rome/babalon, chartered by the black popes.

solution, get right with yourself, wake the funk up, let truth be herd, peacfuly come together and remove the debt money, demand the technology embargo be ended, remove the control grid and their enforcers peacfully, let the abundance and prosprety be enjoyed by all respectifuly in love.

26. Tom says:

Well it is approved by the FDA, so it should be OK. Of course the developers of Aspartamine had to get their CEO to head the FDA before it was passed( after several failed attempts) the developers who also developed Agent Orange assure us it is safe. Anyway, why shouldn’t the bio-weapons industry also make our foodstuffs? It is very sweet because it is made from the excrement of a bacteria, yum yum get some.

27. sweetener madness says:

I’ve been using 950 and 951 intravenously now for 3 years with absolutely no serious side effects! Life is sweet as bro!

28. Steven says:

Well aint that just dandy….. Your allegation of potential corporate bribary… That door can sure swings both ways can’t it? This thread is completely non scientific with no corrobrative support literature is is no more than a beat up on Coca Cola Corp. im not bribed by them, im not employed by them, i do drink it as it has less immediate health impct on me than having sugar poured into by the cup. Its really guys and gals, if you dont like it then try tasteless water, its called choice and its all yours and cant be taken away.

• Zac says:

Finally. Someone who understands scientific debate and facts. How about people search for example google scholar to get some actual scientific reported data that’s backed up and accepted in the scientific community. Sunrise isn’t a form of this nor 60 minutes. You can find both positive and negative for everything on the net and btw for those people who say nothing good comes from coca cola brand. Mount franklin water is produced by this company.

• rob says:

the creeks, streams and waterfalls of Springbrook National Park that coca cola are draining dry to produce mount franklin water don’t seem to be doing to well .The residents that live near, don’t think Mount Franklin water is so great either.

29. bluechees says:

951 Is in Jarrah hot chocolate as well….

30. Helen says:

Don’t be fooled by “natural sugar” either!! Fruit is full of it!.. I have spoken to many health professionals, naturopaths etc over a 20 year period and they all agree; limit your fruit intake and definitely DO NOT juice it!! I am a diabetic and have managed to get my BGL’s almost back to normal just with the reduction of 3-4 pieces of fruit per day to only one!.. And defiantly no 950 or 951!!

31. Margaret says:

hey guys…do any of you have any info on sweeteners…952…955 pls

32. Rose Lazarus Spicer says:

Coca cola zero has both 951 and 950 in this product made in NZ. That so sucks! I won’t be drinking this again!

33. Stroppy says:

As an aside, I was shopping with the wife in Aldi today and pick up a packet of Sweeteners. I looked on the back and noted the prime ingredient was ‘Sweetener [951]‘. Who would have guessed a sugar substitute comprised sweetener – all of which was Aspartame!

34. A Thompson says:

Having read the websites of foodsmart.govt.nz and Efsa.europe.eu European Food agency, the only evidence sweetener 951 may be harmful is when taken in very large amounts and there is NO evidence it causes cancer nor any brain damage.

35. Hamish says:

ALDI are selling a drink identical to Jarrah in Australia, sweetened with 950 and 951, with no labelling that it contains phenylketonetics (which I thought was law).

Turns to formaldehyde in the brain. It is Science.

36. C says: