Having been on the receiving end of a bungled disaster alert myself, I feel for the residents of Hawaii.
But really: “A single individual…by mistake”?
Clicking through a safeguard even? Either this “individual” did this wilfully, or we’re being told porkies. Was this a hack and the authorities are covering up a systems vulnerability?
Whatever the truth may be, this kind of false alarm undermines public confidence in the authorities and their systems they supposedly put in place to safeguard us. If this was a wilful act, then perhaps that was the intent: Foster fear, confusion, and mistrust?
Will we ever know what really happened here? I doubt it.
Here’s the basic story according to the mainstream (which of course conveys the official story and asks no questions !):
Jan 13 2018, 8:33 pm ET
Hawaii ‘ballistic missile threat’ alert to phones was false alarm, officials say
by Erik Ortiz, Phil McCausland and Chelsea Bailey
Hawaiians were thrown into a panic Saturday morning after an emergency alert was mistakenly sent, warning them to “seek immediate shelter” from a ballistic missile threat, and it took emergency officials 38 minutes to send a new alert to mobile phones that the threat was a false alarm.
Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi said at a press conference with the governor Saturday afternoon that a single individual sent out the alert by mistake. The individual went so far as to click through a second message, intended as a safeguard, that asked whether the alert should go out.