By Gareth Simpson
It is crucial that as many people as possible are aware of the latest ongoing
changes in legislation relating to health supplements.
The NZ Government is trying to change the way in which all Natural Health Products (NHPs) are regulated. They plan to treat Natural Health Products as drugs and give the power to control them to the controversial Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
We know from the Australian experience that this would mean;
• Fewer products available – consumer choice reduced
• Unnecessary bureaucracy and cost
• Increased cost to consumers
• Natural health products & medical devices all controlled like drugs
• Many NZ businesses forced to close – jobs lost
• There will be little NZ can do to protect itself – Australia would make
decisions for NZ
If this goes ahead, something as simple as purchasing vitamin C will cost you increased time and money, requiring a prescription; drug companies will have increased control and ownership over natural supplements while increasing their profit and destroying small business; intellectual property rights for indigenous groups will be further eroded; and the dominance of pharmaceutical treatment will continue to override a more holistic and organic approach to well-being.