Under the radar while we’re all COVID-ised all sorts are going on. 1080 drops are going down like a carpet-bombing campaign. Solutions? See my comments below the article MH
JACINDA’S MAGIC MONEY TREE – LIST OF 1080 OPERATIONS BELOW
By Carol Sawyer via EWR
Never have I seen so many winter aerial 1080 operations as now!
They barely gave themselves a breathing space.
The Dept of Conservation aerially 1080-poisoned 61,000 hectares of the Waitutu Forest and the Princess Mountains, Fiordland, March 11-12, 2020, two weeks before lockdown.
Then, as soon as we went into Level 2, they poisoned the Eglinton Valley, Fiordland. (Started on 19 May; completed on May 25, 2020).
1) Eglinton Valley, Fiordland, 7,842 hectares (last poisoned September, 2019; poisoned again May, 2020)
2) Waikaia Forest, Northern Southland, 7,000 hectares (fourth poisoning in 5.5 years, scheduled June, 2020)
3) Wet Jacket Peninsula, Dusky Sound, Fiordland, 40,000 hectares (never before poisoned)
4) Nelson Lakes National Park, Lake Rotoiti, Mt Robert and the headwaters of Lake Rotoroa, 34,000 hectares (notified by VCS Marlborough, July 1 to August 31, but not yet poisoned)
5) Mt Te Kinga forests, Lake Brunner, West Coast, 3,700 hectares, (notified, RNZ news item 29 May, but not yet poisoned)
6) Punakaiki, West Coast, 43,000 hectares (notified by VCS Greymouth, but not yet poisoned)
7) Buller South, West Coast ( Paparoa Range as well as foothills and Pakihi terraces between the Buller River and Four Mile Road south of Charleston), 18,500 hectares (notified, OSPRI, July 2020)
8) Radiant Range and Mokihinui, West Coast, 72,460 hectares ( notified, OSPRI, July 2020)
TOTAL HECTARES (including Waitutu) = 390,000 hectares and 780 tonnes of 1080 poison baits.
How could I have been so wrong?! I seriously thought a pandemic and its ensuing economic chaos would put an end to aerial 1080 poison. I thought the government might have a last blast but this is something else. Jacinda’s Labour Government has turned 1080 poisoning and trapping into a make-work scheme. The only income this scheme makes is from the TAXPAYER!!!
I think the only thing that will end aerial 1080 poison and this mad desire to kill everything introduced into our forests will be nuclear war.
Martin comments: Maybe there’s some less drastic solutions than planetary annihilation Carol!? There’s always a vote for the New Conservative Party:
“New Conservative will phase out 1080 as soon as alternative means of pest control are identified and available.
New Conservative will replace the use of 1080 with efficient trapping, luring, and hunting where applicable.
There are excellent trapping, and luring devices which have been developed and built in NZ and used in many other countries, which have also been proven to be extremely useful in eradicating pests, by D.O.C.
Traps are a more humane way of eradication, and they target specific species.
In the case of possums, meat and fur can be safely harvested, which in turn would create employment opportunities.
The argument that we need to use 1080 because it is the cheapest and most effective method of reducing predator numbers is worth challenging through trying alternatives. It has been proven that trapping can be highly effective, and targets specific species. They may be more expensive initially to reduce numbers, but could be more cost effective in maintaining those low pest numbers.
Replacing the use of 1080 with traps, will help to ensure that we have clean waterways, oceans and forests. It will also assist in rejuvenating forest and bush life and create business income and employment opportunities for many people.
New Conservative supports positive initiatives like predator-free Wellington and the goal to be the first predator free capital in the world using their own home built traps.”
My only concern about New Conservative is their pro-Israel policy which could be a sticking point for many. Shame as pretty much everything else ticks all the boxes.